Monday, June 22, 2009

Afridi saluted

Pakistan superstar Shahid Afridi was hailed as 'awesome' on Sunday after the mercurial all-rounder led his country to the World Twenty20 title.

Pakistan defeated Sri Lanka by eight wickets to claim their first major title in 17 years at a sell-out Lord's.

Afridi hit an unbeaten 54 off 40 balls, his second consecutive half-century, and former captain Shoaib Malik made 24 not out during a match-winning partnership of 76 for the undefeated third wicket.

"It was a pressure match. When I walked out to the wicket I was thinking I have to stay until the 20th over," said Shoaib.

"Shahid was awesome today and all credit to him. I told him to stay at the wicket and I will get some runs that we can finish the game. He's a great cricketer."

No comments:

Post a Comment