Friday, June 5, 2009

French Open All-Russian final

Svetlana Kuznetsova set-up an all-Russian French Open final against top seed Dinara Safina when she defeated battling Australian Samantha Stosur 6-4, 6-7 (5/7), 6-3 in Thursday's semi-finals.

Dinara Safina hopes that a more economical run to this year's French Open final will crown her drive to win a first Grand Slam title and silence her critics.

The 23-year-old Russia top seed goes up against compatriot Svetlana Kuznetsova in the championship match at Roland Garros on Saturday having lost just one set along the way.

Last year she arrived in the final against Serbia's Ana Ivanovic in a depleted physical state having survived punishing three setters in the fourth round and quarter-finals.

The result was a disappointing 6-4, 6-3 loss that left her frustrated and determined to earn a second bite at the cherry this year.

"I wouldn't say I was too nervous last year," she said after defeating Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova 6-3, 6-3 in the semi-finals.

"It was just that I was tired overall because I had such a tough draw and so many matches I had to pull out.

"This year I've spent much less time on the court so I'm much fresher."

Also different for Safina this year will be her familiarity with her opponent.

She had played Ivanovic before their final in 2008 but the Serb was still something of an unknown quantity at that level.

Kuznetsova on the other hand she knows inside out. The two are good friends, have known each other from the time they were youngsters and played 12 times since 2001 with Safina leading their rivalry 7-5.

This year they have comfortably been the two best players in the claycourt season - Kuznetsova winning the final in Stuttgart and Safina gaining her revenge in Rome.

That loss in Germany was the only one sustained by Safina in 21 matches since she earned the world No.1 spot from Serena Williams on April 20.

But her reign has been contested, notably by the younger of the Williams siblings, due to the fact that she has yet to win a Grand Slam title.

Safina believes she is being unfairly treated.

"I think since I became No.1 I'm playing in finals and winning the titles so how much more proof do I need to give people that I think I deserve that spot."

"It would be great though if I could have a Grand Slam."

Kuznetsova, still only 23 despite having played for six years at the highest level, recalls that in their earlier days back in Russia she was clearly second fiddle to the Muscovite Safina who had a famous brother Marat and a respected coach for a mother.

"I used to be girl from St. Petersburg, she was Moscow and her mom is huge coach who been coaching her. I mean, she was No. 1, No. 2, always great. I don't even know what number I had," she said.

That changed when they both turned professional with Kuznetsova, who moved to Spain with her parents to foster her career, breaking through early and Safina struggling to make the transition.

Now both find themselves at the top of the tree and facing off in a Grand Slam final for the first time.

It's a prospect that Kuzetsova relishes.

"She's going to be favourite to win. She's No. 1. She played an unbelievable season. She beat me last time we played in Rome," she said.

"But there are some points I can work on and think positive for myself.

"First of all, that I beat her, as I did in Stuttgart. It was indoor, but still, she can play very well in indoor.

"I have to move her around definitely But I have just to work my game."

Both players have minor injury concerns with Safina under the weather with a virus the last few days and Kuznetsova having a bad blister on her foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment