Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Championships Wimbledon Andy Roddick in history's way

Ap, Wimbledon

Roger Federer will face a familiar foe in his chase for Grand Slam history: Andy Roddick - a player he has beaten in 18 of 20 matchesstands in the way of a record 15th major title.

The milestones just keep coming for Federer, who has reached his seventh straight Wimbledon final and 20th in a major championship match overall.

A win over Roddick on Sunday would give him the biggest record of all, breaking the mark of 14 Grand Slams he shares with Pete Sampras. And Federer is one who appreciates tennis history more than most.

“I love playing against the younger generation, trying to beat those and then the next generation again and playing for the history books, but especially also playing for myself,” Federer said after beating Tommy Haas 7-6 (3), 7-5, 6-3 in Friday's semifinals. “There's a big incentive. I really enjoy that part of the game right now.”

A victory would also give Federer a sixth Wimbledon title and a return to the No. 1 ranking.

“I'm very proud of all the records I've achieved because I never thought I would be that successful as a kid,” Federer said. “I would have been happy winning a couple tournaments and maybe collecting Wimbledon. It's quite staggering now having reached … my sixth straight Grand Slam final. Having so many things going for me now again, opportunity again on Sunday, it's fantastic.”

Federer said he would be happy if Sampras showed up for the occasion. Sampras has been at home in California looking after his two young sons. Whether or not he comes, Federer was full of praise for the man whose record he is on the verge of surpassing.

“I think his success here at Wimbledon, being able to win seven times, it's amazing,” Federer said. “Winning it three times, coming back, winning it four times, going for five. It's quite something.”

Breaking the record would bolster the argument that Federer is the greatest player in the history of the game.

“I like listening about it,” he said. “It means I'm doing something right. But then again, let me finish my career, and then we'll see what happens at the end.”

The women's final was set for Saturday, with five-time champion Venus Williams facing little sister and two-time winner Serena for the second year in a row and fourth time overall in the Wimbledon title match. Venus was going for her eighth Grand Slam championship, Serena her 11th.

Rafael Nadal, the man who beat Federer in last year's final, is absent this year due to knee problems. And Andy Murray, the player many people predicted - and all of Britain hoped - would face Federer in this year's final, came up one match short.

Roddick, largely overlooked despite his appearances in two previous finals, beat Murray 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (5), stopping the third-ranked Scot's bid of becoming the first British male finalist since the 1930s. Now Roddick is out to stop Federer from breaking the Slam record.

“Obviously you can't really say enough to signify what Roger's career has been to this point,” Roddick said. “I'd love to delay (the record) for another Grand Slam.”

Asked whether he could picture himself hoisting the trophy on Center Court on Sunday, Roddick said with a smile: “Oh, I've done that many times.”

Federer's 18-2 record against Roddick includes victories in the 2004 and '05 Wimbledon finals. Roddick's only two wins came on hard courts.

“I've played him 20 times, so I've had plenty of time to study his game, to understand his game,” Federer said. “He's always played me quite differently every single time I've played him. I've had many different looks against Roddick. I enjoy how he leaves everything on the court. I can only marvel at how incredible his serve is. I like playing against him, not only just because of the record.”

For the 26-year-old Roddick, the march back to the final marks a personal turnaround. After losing in the second round last year, he said he wondered whether he still had enough to compete at the top level.

“You don't go back to a Wimbledon final by accident,” he said. “It certainly is a process. And it's probably been a longer process than I would have liked. … I didn't know if I was going to get to play a final of Wimbledon again. I'm certainly thankful to have that opportunity.”

Like most people, Murray and Haas figure Federer will have the edge again.

“I think Andy Roddick is playing some of his best tennis that I've seen,” Haas said. “But I wouldn't give him really a chance to beat Roger in the final. Maybe take a set.”

In their two previous finals and one semifinal matchup at Wimbledon, Roddick has won just one of 10 sets against Federer.

“Obviously Roger is the favourite,” Murray said. “If he plays his best and passes well, then there's no reason why he can't win.”

No comments:

Post a Comment